Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Im not certain as to whether I received a $250 Economic Recovery

I'm not certain as to whether I received a $250 Economic Recovery Payment or not. A search of all my bank transactions for 2009 reflects no such activity. Of course, I could have received and cashed the check with no audit trail available to me.

I am a widowed 78 year-old retired federal employee (Air Force) who was not eligible to pay into the Social Security system. Hence, I receive no income from the SSA. I also do not receive any compensation from the railroad retirement program or the Veterans Administration. I receive my annuity directly from the Bureau of Management and Budget.

According to every IRS resource I can locate by myself, it appears that only people receiving SSA, railroad retirement benefits, or VA benefits or pension would have received the $250 payment. IRS instructions tell me that if I'm uncertain about whether I received payment or not, to contact one of the agencies above. None apply to me. How do I discover whether or not I was paid the $250?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Dan,

If you were not receiving benefits from the SSA, railroad retirement program or the VA, you would not have been sent the $250 payment.

If this was helpful please press the Accept buton.

Thank you Dan