Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

My wife and I gave gifts to 2 children in 2009. How may this

My wife and I gave gifts to 2 children in 2009. How may this to used to reduce our taxes on this money?

Hello noel,

Gifts that you give to family members or friends can never be used as any type of tax deduction. The only gifts that qualify to be a tax deduction are donations that you make to a qualified charitable organization.

In fact, if you gave gifts of more than $13,000 to any one individual for the year, you must file Form 709 with the IRS to report those gifts. You would not likely owe gift tax because under current law, each individual is allowed to give gifts of up to $1 million in their lifetime before gift tax becomes due. But if you would ever exceed your lifetime limit on gifts, then the donor of the gift pays the tax. So if anything, you pay taxes on gifts you give rather than receive a deduction for them.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you roel