Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues

I retired in Nov. 2008, and looked for a part time job to keep

I retired in Nov. 2008, and looked for a part time job to keep busy ( age 59 ). I did find a job for a parking lot company doing maintance.
To get the job the requirements were to have a truck and have own tools, I had the tools but had to buy a truck to get the job, and use it every day to work and to all the lots to do the work, what can I claim.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.

Are you being paid as an employee, or a 1099 contractor?

Mark D
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am an employee, I started at the end of may 2009 and work for about 4 to 5 hrs a day.
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.

You may claim the use of the truck for business purposes and miscellaneous itemized deduction (subject to 2% rule) using Form 2106 to report vehicle costs gas, and mileage. When properly fill out using tax software, the program will let you know if it is more beneficial to deduct the mileage (55 cents per mile in 2009) or actual costs (depreciation, gas, oil, insurance and repairs). Please note that only business mileage is deductible and would not include commuting mileage. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mark D