Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  10 + years of accounting and tax experience, financial statements and business planning
30052784

Drilled wells on a property and the women paid me 48,000.00

Customer Question

Drilled wells on a property and the women paid me 48,000.00 then put stops on the check
she detrimed my license under ca. State Law was not correct . She was right,but I have sued her for unjust enrichment. Will probally loss. Will she have to pay taxes on the improvement and can I write off the 48,000 as abad debt?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chad Oberg replied 6 years ago.

Sure,

When a credit card forgives a card holder and writes off the balance they issue a 1099-C which compels the recipeint to recognize the income. You can do the same process with your company. See the link below:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099ac_09.pdf

Regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I cancel the lawsuit I have against them and remove the lien

I wouldn't cancel the lawsuit or the lien. You may want to discuss with your lawyer as to any effects of sending out a 1099 or writing off the debt on the lawsuit. You want to keep as many options running as possible and therefore keep your chance of collection high.

Regards,

Chad