How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering working as a consultant for one of the indian

Resolved Question:

I am considering working as a consultant for one of the indian tribes. I am not a Native American ( I am an American citizen). I was told by a financial advisor to the Tribe that my compensation would be "tax-free," since my compensation would come from the tribe. Researching the IRS website, I find that the tribe would file a 1099-Misc for contractor's compensation if the annual amount is over $600. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Indian tribes generally are not regulated the same way as 501(c)(3) organizations.

As governmental entities, federally recognized tribes are not subject to income taxes.


A tribe may incorporate under section 17 of the Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) of 1934, 25T U.S.C. Section 477 (section 17). This type of corporation is not subject to income tax, no matter where the business is located. An Approval Article or Certificate signed by the Secretary of the Interior is evidence of incorporation under the Indian Reorganization Act.

Indian tribes in Oklahoma are not eligible to incorporate under section 17 of the IRA. Instead,

Indian tribes may also form a corporation under state law. This type of corporation is ordinarily subject to federal income tax on income earned on or after October 1, 1994, no matter where the business is located. Because the state charter creates an entity separate and distinct from the tribe, the federal income tax applies to this new entity. A Certificate of Incorporation issued by the state is evidence of incorporation under state laws. Revenue Ruling 94-16, 1994-1 CB 19, as amplified by Revenue Ruling 94-65, 1994-2 C., further defines this issue.

Members of federally recognized tribes are subject to federal income taxes. In most situations, if a tribal member works for anyone, including himself, he is subject to the appropriate federal income taxes on the income, in most situations. This is also true for passive income the person might receive, from most sources.

One of these is income from individually allotted land that remains in trust. The General Allotment Act of 1887 provided for tribal lands to be allotted to individual Indians in trust for a period of years, after which the lands were to be conveyed to the allottees in fee " free of all charge or encumbrance whatsoever." (25 U.S.C.A. Par 348) This provision has been interpreted to prevent taxation of income or capital gains "derived directly" from allotted land while it remains in trust. (Squire v. Capoeman, 351 U.S. 1 (1956)) This exemption applies to rents and royalties as well as income from sale of crops or minerals from the land. ( Rev. Rul. 56-342, 1956-2 C. B. 20) Gain from the sale of livestock raised and grazed on allotted trust land has also been ruled exempt. ( Rev. Rul. 62-16, 1962-1 C. B. 7.)


See some additional information here -,,id=102543,00.html


The fact of receiving a payment from the Tribe doesn't make such payment not taxable.

That is a taxable income for you regardless of the amount.

Th e information you were given is incorrect - sorry if you expected a different answer.

You may confirm by calling the IRS directly (be prepared to wait if you want to speak with a life person) 1-800-829-1040


Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience