Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

i did not work in 2009, however i spent alot of money on medication

i did not work in 2009, however i spent alot of money on medication and mortgadge as well as my son who i take care of. i borrowed the money from friends and savings to do this this year i know i have in the past been able to file a tax return use my head of household and medical expenses to recieve a r efund can i still do this even though i did not work in 2009

andrew epstein
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

if you did not work in 2009 and did not have any taxable income - your possible deductions will not make any good as they might only reduce your taxable income.

As your taxable income is zero - there is nothing to reduce and there likely will not be any tax benefits for you.

That is correct - you do not have to file a tax return - however you still may file even you did not have any income - but there will not be any refund.

Let me know if you need any help.