How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a W-2 employee deduct home office expenses?

This answer was rated:

According to the IRS, if you are a W-2 employee, but not listed as a statutory employee (which means that the employer "did withhold federal income taxes"), then you are only eligible to deduct your "necessary but unreimbursed business expenses" as Schedule A- Form 2106 expenses, and that none of those expenses can" be allocated to Schedule C-Home office expenses".

My question is what if someone is that same W-2 employee talked about above, but actually earns their entire W-2 as a "100% based commission employee", and who have a "home office set up for the convenience of the employer". Can this employee be eligible for deducting their home office expenses, or does it become a moot point because in fact the W-2 employer actually provide an "office space" for, the W-2 employee to work out of, " in addition to the W-2 employees home office location".

The IRS allows you to deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses, including use of a home office space, if the expense is considered to be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or profession. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your business. An expense does not have to be required by your employer in order to be considered necessary.

So even if the employer does not require that you work from home, if having a home office is somehow helpful to you in your line of work, then you may claim a deduction for that expense. An example of this might be that by working at home you can work an extended schedule which would allow you to contact more customers outside of normal business hours. Or perhaps working at home allows you more time to research potential leads.

Keep in mind that in order to claim a deduction for home office expenses, you must actually have an area in your home which is strictly dedicated to office use. Having a computer set up in your family room or bedroom would not qualify for deducting a home office expense.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My continued question is how does one respond to the comment that if you are a "W-2 employee", you can "only deduct home office expenses" if your employer has checked the box on your W-2 that designates you as a "statutory employee", regardless if you earned your income as a 100% commissions earned employee, and therefore all of "your necessary but unreimbursed business expenses must be listed under Form 2106".

Your information appears consistent with other research items that I have reviewed, however, I again would like to ask two more items that I outlined earlier, which would be:

1) I thought there were three types of individuals who can claim expenses related to operating an office in the home: a) salaried employees (I am assuming they mean statutory employees), b) employees on commission, and c) self-employed individuals.

2) Is there not an exception to that home office rule for the "W-2 employee who earns their income on a "100% commission basis" who is in effect an "outside sales person" receiving a W-2, who has an "outside office" set up for the convenience of the employer, which coincides with the research I found of a physician who maintained a medical office (W-2 income) as well as an office in his home, where he was able to demonstrate that he "met" with his patients, and regularly took phone call calls in his home office.


Basically there are 3 types of worker classifications:

1. Regular W-2 employees

2. Statutory employees

3. Independent contractors (or self-employed individuals)

A regular W-2 employee can be either a salaried, hourly or commissioned employee. The employer deducts all applicable federal and state income taxes as well as SS and Medicare taxes from the employee's pay.

Statutory employees are basically treated the same as an independent contractor, with one big exception. They are not liable for paying their own SS and Medicare taxes. For purposes of those two taxes only, they are paid as an employee, and the employer withholds those taxes from their pay. But a statutory employee pays all of his own federal and state income taxes.

Independent contractors have no taxes withheld at all from the income they receive.

Regular employees report all of their income on Form 1040. Any unreimbursed business expenses which they have are claimed by filing Form 2106, and then claiming those expenses as part of your itemized deductions on Schedule A. The deductions in that category are limited to those which exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Both statutory employees and independent contractors are treated as self-employed individuals. They both report their income and business expenses on Schedule C. Their net income after expenses is then what is subject to tax. They are not subject to that 2% limitation on business expenses.

As a regular employee, even though you are paid strictly on commission, since you are not classified as a statutory employee, you cannot report your business expenses on Schedule C. There are no exceptions to this rule. You may, however, still claim a deduction for your unreimbursed business expenses, including a home office, by claiming those expenses on Schedule A.

In the example that you cited above about the physician, if he was working as a W-2 employee (the same as you are) and he also had an office in his home, then he could deduct his home office expenses, but they would be deducted on Schedule A, and not on Schedule C.

The only real difference you have here with your expenses is that you will be reporting them on Schedule A which is subject to the 2% limitation. But that is the only place that a regular W-2 employee is allowed to take a deduction for business expenses.

Thank you.

Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience