Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

my mother is 80 she has been living with me for 3 maybee 4

my mother is 80 she has been living with me for 3 maybee 4 years her only income ,is not income ,but her monthly social security roughly 2000 a month . last year i claimed her as a dependant for the first time claiming head of household . now she gave me a gift out of her savings of 57000.00 i know about the gift tax and the exclusion but my question is can i still claim head of househo;d or should i go back to filing single
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello indy,

As long as you paid more than half the cost of keeping of the home where your mother lives, and you can claim her as a dependent on your return, then you are still eligible to file as HOH.

The amount of income that you earn or the amount of gifts that you receive has nothing to do with being able to claim HOH status. It is strictly based on the fact that you have a qualifying person which you claim as a dependent and you pay more than half of the cost of keeping up a home for that person.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you indy