Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am currently on unemployment. A company asked me to edit

I am currently on unemployment. A company asked me to edit an article for them. I did this from home and they paid me. I did not claim unemployment for that week. I have edited a total of two articles in the past 3 months. I am not an employee of the company. They pay me as a contractor,
a 1099 worker. Is this correct? I am in the state of Georgia, if that helps.

If you only edited a couple of articles for this company, and did this from your home and worked on your own schedule, then the company could classify you as an independent contractor. If your earnings from this company were more than $600 total for the year, they would send you a 1099 form no later than January 31st to report the amount of money you were paid.

You will need to file Schedule C with your personal tax return to report these earnings and pay any taxes which are due.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer/p>