How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife & I are presently residents of Fl., I also own a home

Resolved Question:

My wife & I are presently residents of Fl., I also own a home in RI.,I am retired and my wife has been offered a full time job in Ma. & she will have to move to Ma.,if she takes the job. Where is the best place to file our Federal tax return and how & were will we file our state tax return?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 7 years ago.

Hello Carroll,


just to be clear...Would you be moving with your wife? Will she be moving to MA or your home in RI?


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will not be be moving to MA with my wife. She will be moving there by herself for a period of at least 8 months while she works for TSA at the airport in Nantucket.
Expert:  JKCPA replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If she makes more than $8,000 while working in Massachusetts, she (& you if married filing joint) will be required to file a Massachusetts income tax return, Form 1 NR/PY- Nonresident/Part-Year Resident Individual Income Tax Return and Massachusetts Schedule R/NR - Resident/Nonresident Worksheet. This schedule calculates the portion of income earned, as well as the deductions and exemptions allowed while a part-year resident and a nonresident. You can e-file this return through tax software or print and mail the form at their website: http:/ /


If you have any RI source income such as rental income for your home, you may need to also file a RI state income tax return.


For the federal taxes, if you are going to file a married filing joint return, you can only have one address on the Form 1040, so you must pick one primary address. You can e-file this return if you wish. If you file by paper, you should mail it to the address as shown on the last page of the Form 1040 instructions based on the state from the address you are using on the return.


Hope this helps,

Best regards,


JKCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you