Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I live in Texas and while visiting in Oklahoma I won money

I live in Texas and while visiting in Oklahoma I won money at a casino. I always prepare my own taxes online with TurboTax Deluxe for federal returns, but it does not include state tax deductions. Texas does not have a state tax and Oklahoma does, so I need to know if I need to use TurboTax for federal and state tax returns.

Did the casino withhold both federal and OK state taxes from your winnings?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure. I guess I will have to try and contact them. So I guess the answer to my question is that if they did not withhold state taxes, then I need to purchase TurboTax with state deductions, and if they already withheld it then I do not need to purchase a TurboTax with staate deductions. Am I correct.

Hello again dib,

Either way, you should file a nonresident return with the state of OK, even if OK state taxes were withheld from your winnings. It is possible you may be due at least a partial refund depending on how much they withheld.

When you file the nonresident OK return, the taxes you report paying on that return can then be claimed as part of your federal itemized deductions (assuming that you itemize). If you only use the standard federal deduction then you would not be able to claim the OK taxes as an additional deduction on your federal return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you dib