Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Me and my boyfriend bought a house in 1009 and qualified for

Me and my boyfriend bought a house in 1009 and qualified for the $8000.00 tax credit. Can we still file separately, and I claim $4000 and he claims the other half? Would we still use 1040EZ? I usually file with TurboTax, is that still ok?

Hello Chanlee,

Have you and your boyfriend gotten married since you purchased this home?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. I guess you would say we are "common law". However, I have a 6 yr old and I am custodial parent so I have always claimed head of household with her as a dependent.

Hello again Chanlee,

The only reason I had asked if you had since gotten married was that you asked in your original question if you could still file separately. If you are not yet married, then filing as single or HOH are your only choices. You cannot file a joint return with someone you are not married to.

That being the case, you and your boyfriend will continue to each file your own returns, and you can each claim half of the new homebuyers credit.

You can still easily use Turbo Tax to prepare your returns, however, you will not be able to file the Form 1040EZ. Claiming the first time homebuyers credit will require that you file Form 5405 to figure the credit, and then you must use the regular full Form 1040 for your tax return. You cannot use Form 1040-EZ or Form 1040-A.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Chanlee