Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Can a P.O. box be the address used information?

My company told me that my mailing address (a PO Box) is not acceptable as my address for my W-2. Instead, they're saying they need a physical address. My PO Box has been printed on past W-2 forms and I don't get mail at my home, so I'm concerned that putting my physical address on the form will result in me not getting my paperwork.
They say the IRS requires a legal address for a W-2 and that a PO Box can't suffice. Is that correct?

Hello jim,

The employer is incorrect in telling you that a PO box is not acceptable on a W-2 form.

I am giving you a link below to the instructions for filling out a W-2 form. Refer in particular to page 9 of these instructions, under the paragraph that gives instructions for boxes e and f on the W-2 form, which is used for the employee's name and address information.

It specifically states:

Include in the address, the number, street and apartment or suite number (or PO Box number if mail is not delivered to a street address).

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf

You may want to show a copy of these instructions to your employer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you jim