How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we are seniors filing jointly. Our ss joint income is approx

This answer was rated:

we are seniors filing jointly. Our ss joint income is approx 25000. other net income is 11000. Do we pay any taxes?



Can you please tell me the source of the other income you have of $11,000? Is any of that from self employement earnings?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no, the income is from a part time job


Hello againCustomer


Thank you for the additional information.


If your total SS benefits for the year are $25,000, you may have up to $19,500 in additional income before any of your SS benefits would be taxable. So if your only other income is $11,000, then none of your SS benefits are subject to tax.


If you are both over the age of 65, your standard deduction would be $13,600 and you would also have two personal allowances of $3,650 each, for a total of $20,900 in deductions against that income. This would leave you with no taxable income and therefore you are not required to file a return and will not owe any taxes.


However, even though you are not required to file a return, if you had any federal or state income taxes withheld from the $11,000, then you would want to file a return to claim a refund of those taxes.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>




Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions