Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am a 1099 contractor. I purchased a 2nd car (used) this year

I am a 1099 contractor. I purchased a 2nd car (used) this year for work. What tax deduction, if any, am I entitled to?

If you use this car for business or partially for business, you may deduct either your actual expenses or you may claim a mileage allowance.

Using the actual expense method would allow you to deduct your actual costs of fuel, maintenance, repairs, insurance, license fees, property taxes, and depreciation on the car. If you use the car also for personal use, you can only claim a percentage of those costs, based on the percentage of actual business use.

You may also choose just to simply deduct a standard mileage allowance for each mile driven for business purposes. For the 2009 tax year the mileag allowance is 55 cents per mile.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer/p>