Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
13714381

I am a resident of Maryland and my husband is a resident of

Customer Question

I am a resident of Maryland and my husband is a resident of Florida. He is also in the military. We live in Maryland and I have Maryland income, he doesn't. Can we file a joint federal return and I file a separate Maryland return? Or do we have to file a joint Maryland return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 6 years ago.
If he's stationed in Maryland, you live in Maryland to be with him, and you maintain a domicile in another state, you may be exempt from Maryland income tax under Federal law, even if you have income from Maryland sources.

Maryland law specifies that you may file a separate return from your spouse if he's domiciled in a different state. See instructions 7 in the resident tax booklet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We reside in Maryland but his home of record is Florida and mine is Maryland. I just need to know if I can file a Maryland return using the filing status of married filing separately. I've tried reading instructions 7 but I don't understand it.