How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lev Your Own Question

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25585
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I worked the entire year in Arkansas and worked nowhere

Resolved Question:

If I worked the entire year in Arkansas and worked nowhere else as an employee, but had my residence in Oklahoma and had self employment losses on a sole proprietorship in Oklahoma, how do I handle the state income tax question? I was unable to find out if Arkansas and Oklahoma had a reciprocal agreement related income tax filings. I also had my mother and a younger brother as dependents at my residence in Oklahoma. And, I have significant (around 18,000.00) receipts for paying for temporary housing (motel rooms, etc) in Arkansas for parts of the job. I had 112,000 in income, with 12000 of that being non taxable per diem and 12500 being taxable per diem (my per diem became taxable just before the middle of the year). The job was always open ended and I never knew how long I was going to be there, so the per diem was not taxed before one year on the job. I had a small business that I invested about 34,000 in getting started this year as well in Oklahoma and have made just over 2,000 in sales from (just opened the doors). Can I claim the 32000 off of my other income as a business loss? And, if so, how will that work with the multi state issue (ie if I am not filing as a nonresident in Arkansas, will I be able to take the Oklahoma business loss off of the Arkansas state income tax liability?). My employer did not take nearly enough out of my income tax, even though I was filing as single and 1 to cover my liability if I cannot claim some of these deductions and I just got laid off and am really worried about what I'm going to do to. Because of my small business, I don't qualify for unemployement, I'm told (even though I am available to work and only do the business via the computer in my own time). Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

There is no reciprocal agreements between Arkansas and Oklahoma.

If you are a resident of Oklahoma and worked in Arkansas as non-resident - only income from Arkansas sources would be taxable for that state.

On your Oklahoma tax return - which you will file as a resident - you will claim a credit for taxes paid to another state (Arkansas in your situation).


Because you had a loss from your self-employment activities - that losses will reduce your taxable income.


You may claim a deduction for unreimbursed employee business expenses using Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ and on Form 1040, Schedule A .


Travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home are deductible. However, travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment are not deductible. Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite. Also, you may not deduct travel expenses at a work location if it is realistically expected that you will work there for more than one year, whether or not you actually work there that long. If you realistically expect to work at a temporary location for less than one year, and the expectation changes so that at some point you realistically expect to work there for more than one year, travel expenses become nondeductible when your expectation changes.


For more information on travel expenses, refer to Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25585
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Not exactly what I'd hoped to hear, but that's life I suppose; at least I know.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience