RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

I installed a new roof on a rental property during 2009. I

I installed a new roof on a rental property during 2009. I am currrently depreciating the value of the structure for 27.5 years. However, with regard to Form 4562, where do I list the depreciation for the cost of the roof? Also, for how many years should I depreciate the roof? Given the roofing material is rated as 20-year shingles, should I elect to depreciate the new roof for a period of 20-years?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Roof is considered a structural improvement to building and will be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Here is a link to the IRS publication that provides detail on the recovery period of the depreciable rental property-

It clearly states that <table border="0">Additions and improvements, such as a new roofThe same recovery period as that of the property to which the addition or improvement is made, determined as if the property were placed in service at the same time as the addition or improvement.

in Table 2.1

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.