Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am just setting up an S-Corp as I am a real estate investor,

I am just setting up an S-Corp as I am a real estate investor, currently not planning to buy and hold properties. I was advised that I cannot back date the start of the corporation, as it won't be "approved" by the state I live in until this month. I have incurred numerous expenses since May of this year (education, office expenses, mileage, etc.). Can I still claim them for taxes if I use this calendar year as my tax year? Should I say that I want my tax year to go from May 1, 2009 to April 30, 2010. I do not want to miss out on deductions.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello terry,

In the first year that you actively start your business, you may deduct start up expenses which were incurred prior to that time up to a maximum of $5,000. You may also deduct up to another $5,000 for organizational fees. Any amounts you paid for start up expenses or organization fees which exceed these amounts must be amortized over a period of 15 years.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you terry