Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am in chapter 13 right now and there is an IRS debt included

I am in chapter 13 right now and there is an IRS debt included raisin my monthly payments sky high. Can I negotiate separately with the IRS so I can reduce the Chapter 13 monthly payments ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Once you enter bankruptcy, the payments that are set for you by the Trustee are based on your current financial situation and how much disposable income you have to pay your debts. The IRS cannot and would not alter this payment plan.

The payments that the Trustee of your case has determined must be made are made directly to the Trustee, who in turn issues payments to your creditors. So any negotiations at this point on your payments are between you and the bankruptcy trustee.

Once you start your payment plan, if your financial situation should change where you have less income and cannot continue making the designated payments, you can go back to the court to try and have the payments lowered based on your current situation, but all of your dealings at this point must be through the bankruptcy court.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank youCustomer/p>