Experience:  CPA with tax experience.

I filed my 2005 tax return at the beginning of September 2009.

Customer Question

I filed my 2005 tax return at the beginning of September 2009. I believe that I filed an extension but do not have any proof. There was a credit owed but received a letter saying my return was filed too late and the request is being denied. Are there any exceptions to this rule or is there any way to fight this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, if the return was filed after the filing extension deadline, the refund statute runs from the original due date of the return without regard to extensions. Since a return was not filed by the extended filing date, the extension is disregarded for the refund statute. Therefore, the return would have needed to be filed by 4/15/2009 to obtain a refund. If you had filed a return by 10/15/2006, you would have had until 10/15/2009 to AMEND if you wanted to claim another refund. There is no way to appeal this statute rule.

See IRC 6511,

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Edited by JK_CPA on 12/2/2009 at 5:10 AM EST