Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

i bought an airplane 4 years ago for personal use from a small

Customer Question

i bought an airplane 4 years ago for personal use from a small business and now the texas comtroler say i owe taws on the airplane is this my resposeablity or is this the people i bought it from or is there even taxes on an airplane sold in texas
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 7 years ago.

Generally, sales of aircraft are subject to sales tax in Texas (just like cars and trucks). Normally the seller collects this tax as a part of the purchase/sale transaction. However, the purchaser is responsible for the tax unless they can show that the seller actually collected the tax and failed to pay it over. If the seller does not have a sales tax permit, then there would be no reason for the seller to collect the tax and the purchaser would need to make the appropriate arrangements. This is identical to the situation where you buy a vehicle from a private property - when you go to register the vehicle in your name, you are required to pay sales tax.

I would suggest that you provide proof of the purchase price to the comptroller and work at it from that angle to get the balance adjusted properly.

jon