Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Do I have to report to the IRS if I moved back into my rental

Do I have to report to the IRS if I moved back into my rental property to live as my new primary residence? My other property (old primary residence foreclosed in 2009). I last lived in the property in 2003.

Hello Bustos,

You never need to report to the IRS when you move, or when you discontinue using a property as rental property and start using it as a primary residence.

The only time you will report anything to the IRS is if you continue to use the property as a rental or when the property is eventually sold.

Thank you Bustos

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Merlo, Do I still claim the rental income and property expense for the 7 months that it was a rental this year?

Hello again Bustos,

Yes, you will still file Schedule E to report your rental income and expenses for how every many months it remained a rental in 2009. Then starting in 2010 you will just discontinue filing Schedule E and will not be required to do anything until you either sell the property or once again convert it to a rental.

Thank you Bustos

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Merlo your awesome. I had a general idea what was expected of me with my '09 filing. It's nice to hear an expert reinforce my understanding.

Thanks Bustos, and let me know if you have more questions.