How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you receive money from another country and claim a portion

This answer was rated:

If you receive money from another country and claim a portion of it for doing the service for that client, are you liable for taxes on the whole amount of money? Do you have to pay taxes on any portion of the money?

If you are US person - all your income worldwide is taxable regardless of its source and regardless if the money were transfered to the US or not.


If the money you received are taxable or not depends on the reason for such payment.

If that is a payment for services you provided - the income is your self-employment income and should be reported on the schedule C.

You also will be able to deduct all qualified business expenses related to that activity.

Your net business income will be subject of both - 15.3% self-employment tax and income tax (the tax rate depends on your total income , filing status, deduction, etc). The net business income will also be a subject of Michigan state income tax (assuming you are a resident of this state)


If someone sends you the money that you need to pay back - that is not a payment for services and it is a loan to you. That amount is not your taxable income and doesn't need to be reported.


Let me know if you need any help with reporting.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The money to be received is a gift for transferring the funds for him. I did not perform any other service in order to obtain this money. I will be paying for transferring the funds and would take my costs from the portion he wishes to give me for doing the favor. Am I liable for taxes in that case? Do I need to be reported for accepting this money? What happens to me if I don't report the gift income?

I am not clear on the transaction you described - can you provide a little more information?

Why that person need you to transfer the money? why he can't do that on your own?

Do you know that person?

How will you transfer the money? As bank transfer?

Who originally pays the money? and what is the reason of such payment/ selling goods? providing services?

Who provides services or selling goods?

If you receive a compensation for something you are doing - that is not a gift - even someone calls it a gift - but a compensation - I what to be clear on that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not met this person, or talked with this person. He is a friend of my fiance's. I have been asked to do this for him. He wants to invest his money in the US. He has his own reasons for asking me to do it for him. I am not privy to his reasons. It is a bank transfer in my name. This man has already deposited this money into my account in Spain. Now, I am paying for the transfer, but before I did, I wanted to make sure I was not getting into a problem for doing it. He has offered to pay me for doing this for him and to pay me back for my costs incured.

I was afraid that you might involved into a scam - when the person provides you with the check which you deposits into your account and part of that amount return to the sender via Western union or any other way. A week later your bank informs you that the check was a fake and you are short on the amount returned to the sender.


However - if you know the sender - that most likely not your situation.


You are correct - you will be responsible to report as a taxable income only the amount you earned. So from tax prospective - I do not see any issues.

However - all these transactions do not look clear - and because you are involved - you might want to know more details to avoid any criminal activities.

You might be not privy to his reasons as long as you are not involved, but since you are getting involved - you might want to have more information.


As you have a bank account abroad - please also be aware of reporting requirements.


You may be required to report on the Schedule B part III that you have accounts in the foreign country if the combined value of the accounts was $10,000 or less during the whole year. See details in the instructions to that form on the page B-2

There is no tax associated with this reporting - this is for informational purposes only.


The form TD F 90-22.1- that is referenced on the schedule B should be filled if you have financial interest in or signature authority, or other authority over any financial accounts, including bank, securities, or other types of financial accounts in a foreign country, if the aggregate value of these financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year. This reporting doesn't constitute tax liability.

The Form 90-22.1 is due June 30th of each year to report foreign bank accounts owned in the previous year.


Let me know if you need any help.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions