Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

What qualifies someone to be Tax Exempt on Hotel Room Taxes, in

What qualifies someone to be Tax Exempt on Hotel Room Taxes,
in San Francisco, California?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

California allows transient occupancy tax (so-called "hotel tax") - http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=rtc&group=07001-08000&file=7280-7283.51

7280. (a) The legislative body of any city, county, or city and county may levy a tax on the privilege of occupying a room or rooms, or other living space, in a hotel, inn, tourist home or house, motel, or other lodging unless the occupancy is for a period of more than 30 days. The tax, when levied by the legislative body of a county, applies only to the unincorporated areas of the county.

Those who plan to stay more than 30 days may use exemption form - http://www.ci.ssf.ca.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=543

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

(iii) An employee or officer of the state government or of the
government of a political subdivision of the state.

So, if You are using the above to Be Tax Exempt at a

Hotel, in San Francisco, California, ...

do You have to be an employee or officer of the state government or of the

government of a political subdivision of the state OF CALIFORNIA,

or can it be ANY STATE?

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

There are three exemptions - on the form provided - if any applies to you situation - you need to circle that exemption on the form.

• I am an officer or employee of the federal government or a foreign government on official business, and exempt by reason of express provision of federal law or international treaty. (Employees of state and local governments do not qualify for this exemption.)
  • My occupancy period will exceed 30 days and there is a written agreement between me and the operator of this hotel that provides for a continuous occupancy period of more than 30 days. A copy of this agreement is attached to this Individual Exemption Form.
  • My occupancy period will exceed 30 days but there is no written agreement. Although I must pay Transient Occupancy Tax and Conference Center Tax during the first 30 days of continuous occupancy in this hotel, I am exempt from these taxes for the period of continuous occupancy after the first 30 days.

Employees of state and local governments do not qualify for this exemption - only employees of the federal government or a foreign government on official business.