How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person makes $100,000 a year and already claims 2 dependents,

Resolved Question:

If a person makes $100,000 a year and already claims 2 dependents, how much difference would it make if he adds 3 more dependent
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.


Is he married?

The two dependents he already claims - how old are they? Are they related to him (if so, HOW?)?


The three potential dependents - do they live with him all year? Are they related to him (if so, HOW?)? How old are they?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We are engaged and have lived together for most of the year. The two dependents he claims are his daughters ages 13, and 8. If we get married now, he would be able to claim myself (full time student), my 12 year old son, and my 19 year old daughter who is also a full time student. I wondering if it would be worthwile to get married before the first of the year. His only write offs now is his daughters.
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.



I do need a bit more information. How much federal tax was withheld from his W-2 so far this year. How many more paychecks will he receive this year?


Do you have any income?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is in Alaska right now so I don't have exact numbers. He told me he pays about 25,000 to the IRS every year and gets a $8-9,000 refund. I could probably get exact numbers but not until tonight. He has been filing short form because he doesn't have a home mortgage write off. If he could file long form, he has been told that he can write his plane tickets off, he flies to Alaska for work. Two weeks on, two weeks off.
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.



I threw some round-about numbers into tax software to see how the refund would change.


With the estimated figures you gave me, I came up with: With 2 dependents (his children), filing Head of Household, he would get back approximately $10,306.


Filing a married joint return with you, claiming 4 dependents (your 2 children and his 2 children), you will receive about $18,281.


Please keep in mind, I am not saying your refund will be $18,281. I am showing you, without taking any possible education expenses (for you or your daughter), his refund will increase just about $8,000 if you two file a joint return and claim 4 dependents.


Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you