Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I live in Texas and am American citizen. My mother moved to

I live in Texas and am American citizen. My mother moved to Texas from UK in February and received her resident alien card and social security number in October. Her UK pension goes towards her electricity and water payments for her house in england. I want to know when I will be able to claim her on my taxes as she lives with me and I support her financially, and if i can use my Flexible spending account to buy her medication next year.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello Ashley,

If your mother has more than $3,650 in income of her own each year, then you may not claim her as a dependent, regardless of how much support you give her.

Your FSA account can only be used to cover medical expenses for someone who is covered on your medical plan. You cannot use the money in that account to pay for medical expenses for anyone else in your family, even if you claim them as dependents, unless that person is also covered under your health plan.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you Ashley.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since my mother has not had over $3650 income per year, I believe I can claim her as a dependent, but can i claim her for 2009, or only for 2010 onwards.

Is there any type of spending account I can use that would help to pay for my mothers medical issues (she has Parkinson)as I can not put her on my work medical insurance
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again Ashley,

As long as your mother's income is less than $3,650 for the year, then you may claim her as a dependent and you may claim her for the 2009 tax year. Her eligibility starts as soon as she becomes a US resident, and not just a green card holder. Since she came here in February, you can claim her for the 2009 tax year.

Any medical expenses you wish to pay on behalf of your mother would have to be from your own personal funds. I am not sure what you are seeking when you say "any type of spending account that you can use". You cannot use the money in your FSA account because she is not covered under your health plan. So really the only funds you can use for her medical expenses would be your own personal funds. However, if your mother's income is below the $3,650 and she qualifies for you to claim her as a dependent, then you may include any medical expenses you pay for her as an itemized deduction on tax return, and this will help reduce your taxable income.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Ashley

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your help, I think I know what to do now.

Thanks

Ashley
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Ashley