Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Is the State of California going to be taking 10 % of our Salary

Customer Question

Is the State of California going to be taking 10 % of our Salary? I heard this today and have not been told any of this.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

It is not true that the state of California is going to be taking an additional 10% of your earnings for taxes. That is nothing more than a myth.

Effective November 1st, the state is going to start an accelerated tax withholding rate which will increase the amount of taxes being withheld by 10%. But even this is just an acceleration in your withholding, and is not actually going to increase your taxes. Any amount they over withhold will be paid back to you at the end of the year as a refund.

As an example, if they currently withhold $20.00 per week from your paycheck to cover CA state tax, effective Noember 1st your withholding will increase by 10% to $22.00. But the actual amount of tax you owe is not going to increase. So at the end of the year you will still get the full credit for paying in $22.00 a week rather than $20.00 a week, and the state will refund anything to you that was over withheld.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for the information.
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.
Thank youCustomer and let me know if you need further clarification on this.

If this was helpful, please press the Accept button so I can receive credit for helping with this question. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thanks again.

Edited by Merlo on 11/3/2009 at 12:54 AM EST