Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

My W-4 for 2009 is Married with 1 detuction. How does payroll

Customer Question

My W-4 for 2009 is Married with 1 detuction. How does payroll determine the amount of federal tax to withhold? Is there a table I can go to or is it a percentage of the wages for that pay period?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.
Hello TTrue,

There is a set percentage of tax which will be withheld based on the filing status you choose and the number of personal allowances you claim.

I am giving you a link to the 2009 withholding tables. Find the table for Married taxpayers and the table which represents how you are paid (weekly, monthly, etc). You can then see from that table how much will be withheld from your check based on the filing status and number of exemptions you are claiming.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />