Experience:  CPA with tax experience.

The IRS has garnished my wages, I cant live on what they left.

Customer Question

The IRS has garnished my wages, I can't live on what they left. Who can I call to get it lowered? They are taking 63% of my pay.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.

To end a garnishment, you can set up an installment agreement with the IRS. To do so, you will need to call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Please ensure to let them know you have an existing garnishment in place so they can send out a cease garnishment notice to your employer. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mark D
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ive already done this, and they say once its done it can't be changed, the next two times I called they wouldn't even talk to me. I am 67 yr. old and don't want to go to jail.
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question. If the wage levy is causing a hardship on you, you should be able to set up an installment plan and get it canceled or at least have the levy reduced. You do have rights and you will not go to jail for asking for consideration on this. Please see,,id=202126,00.html

Also, if they would not talk to you twice after you called back, this is grounds for having the Taxpayer Advocate Service get involved. You can call them at 1-877-777-4778

Hope this helps!