Experience:  CPA with tax experience.

I remember at a tax seminar that I attended a few years ago,

I remember at a tax seminar that I attended a few years ago, there is (was ?) an exemption for newspaper delivery kids under the age of 18 from SE tax. Does anybody know the site?
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Well, the best source is from the horse's mouth, the IRS:,,id=134000,00.html

"NEWSPAPER CARRIERS - The income newspaper carriers receive for delivering newspapers or shopping news to customers is self-employment income if two requirements are met: (1) substantially all the carrier's pay for delivery/distribution services is directly related to sales or other output rather than the number of hours worked; and (2) the services are performed under a written contract that says you will not be treated as an employee for federal tax purposes. If the newspaper carrier does not meet these two requirements and the carrier is 18 years of age or older, the carrier's pay generally is subject to social security and Medicare tax withholding. If the carrier is under age 18 the carrier also is exempt from self-employment tax."

Hope this helps!