Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Last year I made contributions but took the standard deduction

Last year I made contributions but took the standard deduction so nothing was deducted for contributions.

Will I be able to carry over the 2008 contributions in 2009 - this year I will itemize. I think I can't but it sure doesn't hurt to try.
HelloCustomer

You are correct in your analysis of the limit on contributions in any one year, and the 5 year carry forward rule.

However, you are only allowed to carry forward contributions which were limited due to your AGI. Contributions which you made but did not deduct because you instead claimed the standard deduction cannot be carried forward for use in a future tax year.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />