Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent if she is 23 (24 this

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent if she is 23 (24 this week)? I pay her insurance (Now COBRA, as I recently lost my job) and her car insurance, and provide a great deal of additional support for her. She works in a restaurant and does not have health insurance there. She does file her own taxes for what she earns. She gets paid hourly wages, of course.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Since your daughter will be 24 years old as of the end of this tax year, you can no longer claim her as a qualifying child.

You may, however, still claim her as a qualifying relative, but in order to do this, you must provide more than half of her support and she also cannot have income of her own of more than $3,650 for the year. So if your daughter's income exceeds this amount, you could not claim her as a dependent on your return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank youCustomerand let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help you with whatever I can.