RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

I need guidance on the best way to claim a business loss. Background

I need guidance on the best way to claim a business loss. Background facts
1. I owe taxes for 2005 that I would like to offset by business loss.
2. In 12/2006 my wife bought a business for 300K (trade name and good will and expected business performance based on previous years books), plus the real estate for 650K.
3. Ran the business for the full year, did not perform as expected, shut down business 12/07, lost the real estate 12/07. We were scammed but pursuing that legally - I need the IRS off my back for now.
4. For 2006 I have a AGI not related to the business of about 240K and want to find a way to off-set that income plus 2005's owed taxes by business loss.
5. Business for 2007 - cash in of about 700K, payments of about 825K...
6. Other facts - paid for business cash with $$ from IRA and home equity.
7. I am at a loss as to how to claim the business loss? Reading the rules is not getting my anywhere...I need to know how best to claim the loss (300K invested in 2006). Help.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 4 years ago.
How did you report the loss on sale of the business in the tax year 2007?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have to file taxes for 06, 07, 08 - that is why I need guidance on the best way to move forward that gives me the best way to recover.

Did not sell busines sin 07, just went under.

Expert:  RD replied 4 years ago.
You need to file the tax return for 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Since you shut down the business in 2007 you will report the loss on disposition of the business in 2007. At that point all the investment that you lost will be claimed on the tax return and result in a business loss. This business loss in 2007 will get carried back to 2006 and 2005 and will offset your taxes for those years. Any unused loss will be carried forward to offset income in 2008.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Understood - and I have 90% of those tax forms filled out - I am looking for guidance as to which forms to fill out and where (what line item) to claim the loss, that will cover this.

So specific guidance for Schedule C, form 4562, section 179 deductions if requited.

As stated before the instuctions are not clear, I do not know where to place the loss so that it will 'count properly' - I read 179 to mean that it could only be counted against business 'profits' claimed. Since I am not claiming profit...I am confused.

Expert:  RD replied 4 years ago.
Since the business was bought in 2006 - you will claim depreciation and Sec 179 on your 2006 tax return. Since the business is generating loss you can claim regular depreciation and not claim Sec 179 expense.
Sec 179 expense will not be claimed in 2007 since assets are bought in 2006..

On your 2007 tax return you will claim the disposition of the businesson Form 4797. This will generate the loss on the tax return against the business income.

So you report the Business on Sch C and than report disposition of the assets with zero as the sale price (if you did not get anything from the business disposition) on Form 4797.

Let me know if you have any question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay - sick kids this weekend. I will clear this up today and approve...

To verify - our business was an LLC - form 4797 is still appropriate? I read the instructions and it is not apparent where to fill out the 'sale' loss of out initial purhase price of 300K.

This form links directly back to the 1040 or to a line on the Schedule C for 2007?

Just want to ensure I get the right data flow and do not leave anything out?

Thanks,

Rick

Expert:  RD replied 4 years ago.
Was this a single member LLC filing on Sch C as a disregarded entity?
or did you file a S election for the LLC?

You will report the disposition similar to how you would report a sale. Date of disposition would the the date you shut the business down and the sale proceeds will be zero if you did not get anything for the business.

You will fill out Form 4797-Part I if this is disposition of business assets held for more than a year. Loss from here will flow on to Form 1040 Line 14.

Note that loss from inventory write offs will be reported on Sch C.

I would suggest you have the tax return prepared by a tax professional just so that he can ensure that the necessary forms have been filled and the elections have been made atleast for the year the loss is to be claimed.

Let me know if you have any question.

Edited by RD on 11/9/2009 at 3:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Schedule C as disregarded
Expert:  RD replied 4 years ago.
You will report the loss from Form 4797 to Form 1040 Line 14.

and inventory loss, if any, will be reported on Sch C.

Let me know if you have any question.

RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience: CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..