How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29535
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my father was on social security, with no additional income.

Resolved Question:

my father was on social security, with no additional income. He had 8 dollars in the bank upon his death. Do I need to file a tax return for him?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Sorry - for your loss.

Social security income - if that was only your father's income is not taxable.

You do not have to file a tax return for him.


Because his estate is only $8 - there is no requirements to file an estate tax return either.


However even you do not have to file - you might want to file a final return for your father - but you are not required.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your quick response. There was a trust set up and through it I sold his house to pay off his debt. There was some money left over. Not alot mind you, but some. Do I include this in the tax return I do for him?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

For trust - you need to file a trust income tax return - form 1041 -

Filing requirements are based on

Gross income for the tax year of $600 or more - see instructions page 4 -

If the trust sold the house - I assume that gross income is more than $600 - so you need to file tax return even there is no any taxable income and you do not owe any tax.


Let me know if you need any help.



Lev and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you