Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I work for a cruise line. And have only been in the US for

I work for a cruise line. And have only been in the US for 10 days in 2009. I was told by someone that I don't have to pay taxes (which means that all the $ i paid in - will be returned back). What do I need to tell a tax advisor?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Most likely - you was told about a foreign earned income exclusion.

An US person living abroad - you may claim a foreign earned income exclusion.

The person may qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion - he/she should:
-- Work and reside in a foreign country for at least 330 days during the year, or
-- Meet either the Bona Fide or Physical Presence tests.
If the person qualifies, he/she may exclude up to $91,400 (2009 in foreign wages -- plus housing allowances (limited to 30% of the earned income exclusion).

To receive that exclusion - the taxpayer should file either form 2555 or 2555EZ.

Here are forms you likely need:

Please be aware that - the exclusion above will not affect self-employment taxes - only income taxes. Only earned income is excludable. For instance dividends, investment income, etc - are not excludable.

If your situation being on the cruise line - is not the same as being in the foreign country - and unfortunately - you may not use a foreign earned income exclusion.

Let me know if you need any help.