Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

my husband and I are having a disagreement about his earnings

my husband and I are having a disagreement about his earnings anf w-2 for 2009. If he worked a few days in late december of 2008 but wasn't paid until 2009 doesn't the pay for those days show up on his 2009 w-2 to be reported as 2009 income even though he worked in 2008???
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Individual taxpayers report their income on a cash basis -- meaning that you report your income in the year it is actually received, even if that pay happened to cover some days from a prior year. The pay he received in 2009 for days he worked in Dec. 2008 will be reported on his 2009 W-2 form.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />