Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.

I have failed to meet my deadline date for filing taxes on

I have failed to meet my deadline date for filing taxes on the extension date of October 15, 2009 for 2008 taxes. I do not owe any taxes and should have a refund coming. My wife has been very ill and I have procrastinated on filing. What do I do? I still need to complete my forms

You should file the return as soon as possible. Since you have a refund, IRS is not likely to impose the late filing penalty. Your refund will be forfeited if you do not file and claim it within 3 years of the original due date.

IRS can possibly hold your 2009 refund if you do not file. This is due to the fact that IRS shows income with a reduction for single filing status and 1 exemption until you file the return and give them your other facts. This is not likely, but has been suggested to IRS to generate more income for IRS and to encourage compliance from taxpayers.