Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.

after the purchase of a new doge ram truck 3 years ago ,the

after the purchase of a new doge ram truck 3 years ago ,the new owner was confused by the DMV when he tried to register the truck . he was asked to pay sales tax for the listed price of the truck. He paid only 1500.00 for the truck. would the Kelley Blue book value be considered a "listed price" ??? aND WHY SHOULD HE PAY TAX ON MONEY HE DID NOT SPEND????

DMV usually uses book price if an owner does not know the price paid for the vehicle or have proof of the sale price (bill of sale, etc). The listed price can also be determined by the insurance statement of the value of the truck.

If the insurance lists more than 1500.00 (in error) this could be the problem. Most insurance agreements will only pay that listed price in case of a claim. The new owner should make sure that all figures match.