Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I have lived in a mobile home in Tucson AZ for the past ten

I have lived in a mobile home in Tucson AZ for the past ten years, and paid rent to a mobile home park. I am 75 years of age. Do I qualify for the assistance provisions of the first time home owners benefit act, which is schedled to expire on Nov 30th. I have not owned a conventional home during this time. My mobile home is titled as a motor vehicle and I pay personnal property taxes on it.

If you own your home - you do not qualify for the first time home buyer's credit.

See instructions for the form 5405 -

In general, you can claim the credit if you are a first-time homebuyer.

Your main home is the one you live in most of the time. It can be a house, houseboat, housetrailer, cooperative apartment, condominium, or other type of residence.

You are considered a first-time homebuyer if:

You (and your spouse if married) did not own any other main home during the 3-year period ending on the date of purchase.

If a small mobile home is your main home and you owned it during the 3-year period ending on the date of purchase - you would not qualify fro the credit.

If you sold it at least three years before the purchase - you do qualify.

Sorry if you expected a different answer.

Let me know if you need any help.