Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
8056330

Im certain clients of Swiss Bank UBS suspected of committing

I'm certain clients of Swiss Bank UBS suspected of committing tax fraud are known by the IRS. Clients have until Oct .13 to come clean. The IRS will get its money. What about many partner situations? At the time of my divorce ,I knew my spouse was saving money,but nothing could be found. My divorce lawyer was incompetent.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.
Customer

The IRS has a program in place for innocent spouses, which applies to situations like your's. You can file Form 8857 to request innocent spouse relief for any tax years suspected. I would suggest you use a local tax professional to assist you in filing this form. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know I am innocent. My name would never be on the account. If it was ,I would have been notified of this tax fraud . How can I find out if my ex-spouse had money in a Swiss Bank during our marriage? Will the IRS protect him from me?
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.
csozek,

I cannot answer to any legal questions about your husband's assets or how to find them. However, from a tax perspective, any unreported income from him on a jointly filed return (that you signed) could come back to haunt you without the filing for innocent spouse relief. Filing this form is the way to protect you from tax liabilities you had no knowledge of. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still need to know if a certain type of lawyer can supena for an account in his name. MY ex was investigated after our divorce. He owed money from his contracter company. I was not asked to pay anything. I won't be the first to be looking into this. What about a business partnership where one partner feels the profits should have been higher? Did his partner have an unknown swiss account? This whole thing is going to open a can of worms.
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.
Customer

I cannot answer any legal questions as I am not an attorney. There is a legal category here on JustAnswer. If you feel I have answered your tax questions, please click the green accept button. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D