Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

My girlfriend is American. She holds a US passport but has

Customer Question

My girlfriend is American. She holds a US passport but has lived and worked in the UK for last 20 yrs. She has recently acquired Walmart shares, bought at a discounted rate in a sharesave scheme through working for Asda (owned by walmart). She now wants to sell.
What form does she fill in? W8 ben or W9?
Is she liable to pay tax on any profit.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.
US citizens and resident aliens who are outside the United States (and its possessions) have the same requirements to file tax returns as anyone living in the United States. Income from worldwide sources must be considered when determining if a federal tax return must be filed.

Your girlfriend will be responsible to file a US tax return and pay any tax, most probably capital gains tax, on the sale of the stock if she recieves more for the stock than her basis.

The Form W8 is an IRS form that grants a foreigner an exemption from certain U.S. information return reporting and backup withholding regulations.
Your girlfriend is not a foreigner and would not need the W8 form.

She will need to submit the W9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number, so her Social Security Number can be shown on the sale and thus accounted for with the sale.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,