Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

If I earn $37000 in 2010 what tax bracket do I fall into, and

If I earn $37000 in 2010 what tax bracket do I fall into, and how much will be withdrawn from my month salary if I claim single, one exemption? I need to know the amount of my monly take home pay, before I can accept a job offer in Baltimore MD.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

The 2010 tax bracket rates have not yet been announced. The best I could do is to give you an estimate based on 2009 rates which would still be very close. Will rates based on the 2009 rates be sufficient for you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. An estimate based on 2009 rates would be sufficient. Thank you.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

If you plan to file as single with one exemption, this will be the approximate taxes that will be withheld on a salary of $37,000:

SS & Medicare taxes - $2,830
Federal income tax - $3,730
Maryland state income tax - $1,400

In addition, there is a local income earnings tax imposed by the cities and counties in Maryland, and that tax is based on the county where you live -- not the county where you work. That tax can range anywhere from 1.25% to 3.2%, but the average rate is actually closer to 3%. That being the case, you should probably plan on another $1,110 being withheld to cover your local earnings tax.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />