Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

IN 2007 I TOOK DEED OF REAL ESTATE PROPERTY .IM CURRENTLY

IN 2007 I TOOK DEED OF REAL ESTATE PROPERTY .I'M CURRENTLY NEGOTIATING A SALE OF THAT PROPERTY.WHAT IS MY TAX BASIS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello DB,

How did you acquire this property in 2007?

Did you purchase the property, inherit it or receive it as a gift?

Is this a home that you have been living in as your primary residence?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

RECEIVED AS A GIFT.
YES THIS IS MY PRIMARY RESIDENCE.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello DB,

Thank you for the additional information.

When you receive property as a gift, you retain the same basis as the donor's basis. So whoever gave you this property as a gift, your basis would be the same as that person's basis. His basis would have been whatever he originally paid for this property, plus the cost of any improvements he made. Once you took over ownership, that is your starting basis. You can then add to that any improvements that you may also have made while you owned the home.

If this was your primary residence, you may exclude $250,000 (or $500,000 if you are married filing a joint return) from any gain you have before tax would be due. In order to be considered your primary residence, you must have owned the home for at leat 2 years and you must have lived in the home for at least 2 of the last 5 years. If you satisfy those requirements, then you may claim the primary home exclusion allowed for your filing status, and no tax would be due unless your gain exceeds those amounts.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you DB