Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

How do I get a non tax clearance certificate

Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello livin,

Can you please explain what you mean by a non tax clearance certificate?

It might help to know who is requesting this document and what it is need for.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need a non tax clearance certificate to send to the Zenith Bank PLC so they will release a substantial amount of money to me and without the certificate I can't get it released I need to know where I can get one and how to get one asap.
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello again livin,

Is this regarding lottery winnings or an inheritance that you are to receive?

How were you contacted about this money that is due to you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
by an e- mail from the bank I beleived it was a scam but then I checked into it and they don't want any money so I figured it was real
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello again livin,

I am afraid that what you have received is a scam. These are quite common right now, and in most cases they are asking you to provide a tax clearance form for the money to be released. The problem is that there is no such form so you will never be able to provide them with what they are asking for. When you finally tell them you cannot produce the form or find any such form, that is when they are going to tell you that if you cannot provide the form you will have to pay a fee.

If you had legitimate lottery winnings or a legitimate inheritance coming to you, there will never be a fee involved. If there were any fees that needed to be paid, they would simply be withheld from the amount you are due and then the balance would be sent to you.

We have had hundreds of people come through this forum in recent months asking for the same information as you have asked for, and there simply is no such form.

Please be careful not to send these people any personal information about yourself, and certainly do not send them any money, as you will never receive anything in return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you livin

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad