Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

What are the tax break percentages How much income in each

What are the tax break percentages?
How much income in each before going into a higher one?
Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.
Hello brownie,

Are you looking for a particular filing status (single, married, head of household) or are you looking for this information for all filing statuses?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Recently became a widow. Trying to decide how to take the cash on annuities or to annuitize as I think I'm better doing it this year than next.
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.
Hello again brownie,

One more clarification please. You said you recently became a widow. If your husband just passed away sometime this year, do you still plain to file your return as "married filing a joint return"?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think that would be my best option. Do you have any other suggestions?
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.
Hello again brownie,

Yes, I agree that filing as married would be your best option. I just needed to clarify that your husband did just pass away this year, and not in an earlier year.

Here are the tax brackets for 2009 if you will be filing a married joint return:

• 10% on the income between $0 and $16,700
  • 15% on the income between $16,700 and $67,900; plus $1,670
  • 25% on the income between $67,900 and $137,050; plus $9,350
  • 28% on the income between $137,050 and $208,850; plus $26,637.50
  • 33% on the income between $208,850 and $372,950; plus $46,741.50
  • 35% on the income over $372,950; plus $100,894.50
You can see from this list where the income breaks are -- any taxable income up to $67,900 keeps you in the 15% bracket. Once your income exceeds $67,900 it jumps to the 25% bracket. And then once it exeeds $137,050 it jumps to 28%.

Hopefully this will help you make the decision on how to take your distributions, but if you need more information, please let me know.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you brownie and let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help you with whatever I can.

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad