Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

my mother has just been approved for medi cal with no share

my mother has just been approved for medi=cal with no share of cost. due to dementia and mental illness, she requires 24 hr, care. she has applied for IHSS= in home supportive services of alameda county to pay her worker.\
because she could no longer pay her equity loan mortgage, she has sold her house to move into a mobile home, which she can afford to buy from the sale. she will end up with some excess cash, but owes thousands to her caregiver and family. after she pays them back, most of the house sale money will be gone. how will the county characterize the money frim the sale? i understand the house is exempt/ thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.
According to the Alameda site :
"Your monthly income and the value of any other property (such as a bank account) must be below the level allowed for Medi-Cal eligibility. The amount of income allowed by Medi-Cal depends upon your individual situation.
Some kinds of income and property are exempt (not counted). Examples of exempt income include SSI, CAPI and CalWORKs cash benefits. Exempt property includes your home (if you live in your home), at least one motor vehicle, your household furnishings and personal property.
The following groups can now receive Medi-Cal regardless of the family's property:
Children age 1-5 with income at or below 133% of the federal poverty level
Children age 6-18 with income at or below 100% of the federal poverty level
Pregnant women and children under 1 year of age with income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level. "

Since your mother will still live in her home, all be it a different home then the value of her new home will be exempt. As far as the money she receives for the sale of her current home plese see the above statement regarding "Bank Accounts". I suggest you contact the Social Worker that was assigned to your mother's case. The law states that requests are on an individual basis and only they will be able to advise if the sale will effect your mother's application for any service or negate a service that is in effect.

Here is the link to the medi-cal site where I obtained all the information:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,

Edited by Robin D on 10/2/2009 at 11:20 AM EST