Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

How do I find out if my former employer paid her unemployment

How do I find out if my former employer paid her unemployment taxes?XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello brenda,

Because tax payments by individuals or companies are protected under the Privacy Act, the only way that you can find out if your employer paid in to the unemployment fund is by filing a claim for unemployment benefits.

When you file a claim, the state will review all wages that were reported for you as covered wages for the previous 12 months. Your benefits will be based on a percentage of those wages. You would be allowed to receive a copy of that report, and it will show each employer who reported covered wages on your behalf.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you brenda.

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I feel that I didn't get the right help to my question I need to know after filing unemployment and the employer hasn't paid her taxes what recourse do I have and will they take action
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.
Hello brenda,

I am sorry ifyou feel you did not get the right help, but the question you originally posted is totally different than from the one you are now asking. You did not indicate that you already filed for benefits and that you were told taxes had not been paid by that employer. You simply asked how you could find out if the employer had paid unemployment taxes. So I apologize for any confusion in the answer.

Let me ask you a couple of follow up questions here.

1. Did you actually work for this employer as an employee or were you being paid as an independent contractor?

2. Did the CO state unemployment office offer you any help as far as contacting this employer to find out why unemployment insurance was not paid on your earnings?

Edited by Merlo on 9/18/2009 at 10:12 PM EST