Kophy
Kophy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA with Big 4 public accounting experience and now working as an Internal Audit Director.
21763661

How can I obtain a copy of my ex-husbands tax return from last

How can I obtain a copy of my ex-husbands tax return from last year? Child support is based on his income, which he lied about. I need to prove he made more money.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Kophy replied 4 years ago.
Customer

I am so sorry to hear that. Below is the IRS contact information that you call in or mail in to request an Income Tax Return Transcript if you filed with him.

So, my suggestion is for you to call Child Services department (or other state agency that handles child support mediation and collection) to put in a complaint. They should be able to help you legally investigate and take action against him to collect.

You can obtain a transcript by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNand following the prompts in the recorded message or by completing and mailing Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions.

If this answers your questions, please click yes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In 2008, we did not file "married"/jointly as we were divorced by then. When I contacted the government (Child Support Division in Houston), I was told I could receive less on my child support check if he actually made less. I am 99% sure he made much more but am afraid of making a mistake.

Can I request a transcript if we did not file jointly, married?

Expert:  Kophy replied 4 years ago.

If you feel confident that he makes more than he is claiming, you should definitely contact Child Services. Before you do that, do some research on what a paralegal makes in his area. This will give you an idea if his salary makes sense or not. You can use that to gage and fill your 1% uncertainty.

Because of privacy rights, I don't think that there is a way you can get a copy of his tax return unless through court order or divisions such as child services.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your time. My ex-husband is a nasty man. He recieves his weekly paychecks and at the end of each month, he recieves a separate check for over-time. This is the portion he will not submit. Since he already receives his weekly checks, it appears that nothing is missing. His company pays him this way and doesn't include his OT on a weekly basis.

Just wanted to explain the discrepancy and why it is not apparent to the child support office. Don't really know any way to get to the bottom without an actual tax return and cannot afford an attorney. Barely making it already.

Expert:  Kophy replied 4 years ago.

If you really think that he is getting a separate check for overtime, I think you definitely need to go to Child Services. One other thing, if he has been in the same job all along, his pay would not decrease; thus, you do not have to be afraid of getting any less.

The question becomes, how will you try to collect the money from him once you found out he is not claiming the right amount of income? If you don't go to Child Services, you will need to go to an attorney to petition to the court.

If the situation is correct and the company is doing this to help him, it's unethical and should be reported. However, I am not sure if his employer is will to go that far for him. I can see this happening if the company he works for is very small and he is intimate/close with the employer.

I have been an auditor for over 8 years and I have not seen a copy that pays a separate check for overtime because it naturally cost extra money for the company to process extra paychecks. Plus, the company has to track YTD information in order to pay unemployment and social security tax. With all these requirements, there is a lot that the company is going through for him which they can get into trouble for.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope that you can make it work.

Experience: CPA with Big 4 public accounting experience and now working as an Internal Audit Director.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Again, I thank you for all of your assistance. It is most definitely appreciated. Yes, sadly he is a snake and the company is actually very large but he is their "golden boy" and has been with them 9-10 years.

Have a wonderful evening.

Expert:  Kophy replied 4 years ago.

Then don't be afraid that you will get any less than you are now. Please go to the Child Services and see what they can do. I see that they helped a lot of people and they will do whatever they can to protect your children's rights. Also talk to them about additional support for your child's tuition.

Good luck to you and I truly hope that you find a solution.