How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much money can I gift to my daughter without a tax consequence Can

This answer was rated:

How much money can I gift to my daughter without a tax consequence?
Can I open a savings, money market, etc account with a 6 figure deposit and add her to
the account from the outset and use her ss# XXXXX the primary ss #? I understand that if it's her ss# XXXXX receive the 1099.

Thanks so much.


You are correct that when she gets the gift any income will be hers to report and pay tax.

For the donor, after one million dollars has been gifted above the annual exclusion amount then gift tax is due. For lifetime gifts that are less than one million dollars there is not any gift tax in the year the gift is made; but the amount of lifetime gifts does reduce the amount of the person's estate not subject to estate tax.

If you give more than the annual exclusion amount of gifts for the year to one person you must file a gift tax return; but there is no tax due until the lifetime gifts are more than one million dollars.

For more details see,,id=108139,00.html

The annual exclusion applies to gifts to each donee. In other words, if you give each of your children $13,000 on or after January 1, 2009, the annual exclusion applies to each gift.

What if my spouse and I want to give away property that we own together?
You are each entitled to the annual exclusion amount on the gift. Together, you can give $26,000 (effective on or after January 1, 2009).

What can be excluded from gifts?
The general rule is that any gift is a taxable gift. However, there are many exceptions to this rule. Generally, the following gifts are not taxable gifts:
Gifts that are not more than the annual exclusion for the calendar year.
Tuition or medical expenses you pay for someone (the educational and medical exclusions).
Gifts to your spouse.
Gifts to a political organization for its use.

So you can give any amount from the list above plus 13,000 from you (and 13,000 from your spouse) before you have to file a gift tax return for the year and without any tax consequence.

You should not only add her name to the account but document the gift in writing and the fact that she actually does have the rights and benefits of ownership. That is, it must be a completed gift for her to be the owner of the income on the account.

I have assumed for this answer that your daughter in not your dependent and that she is not a minor. Please ask if this is not the case.

I hope this helps to know how much and what type of gift you can give with no tax consequence.   

Best wishes.

jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience: I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
<p>Hello again,</p><p> </p><p>In your feedback you wrote: "So, generally speaking, I can gift my daughter $200,000 tomorrow and as long as I don't exceed $1,000, taxes?" </p><p> </p><p>Yes, there is no gift tax due until the one milllion dollar amount of lifetime gifts more than the annual exclusion. If the property is jointly owned with your spouse you should consider each gifting one half of the total amount and filing two gift tax returns to lessen any possible later impact on each person. </p><p> </p><p>See <a href=",,id=164875,00.html">,,id=164875,00.html</a> for information on filing the gift tax return, Form 709, which is a separate return from your Form 1040. </p><p> </p><p>The 2008 Form 709 is available at <a href=""><strong>709</strong>.pdf</a> </p><p> </p><p>I hope this helps clarify the filing required and that no amount is due with this return. </p><p> </p><p>Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience